Intro to Computational Media

Week 7: MTA Fare Data

This week I used the MTA data feeds to create a p5.js sketch.  At first I took time to sort through most of the data that was available on the MTA developer data feed.  I came up with an idea to combine some data from two csv data sets.  One data set had information about the types of fares used at each station.  At each station you could see how many full fares, senior/disabled fares, and student fares were used.  In the other data set you could see what stations had an elevator entrance or were considered ADA accessible.  Thus, I had the idea to combine these two data sets.  I wanted to map the full, senior/disabled, and student fares for each station, and then list whether that station was ADA certified or had an elevator or escalator.  Perhaps the results would find some stations that require ADA accessibility due to the amount of seniors/disabled fares being used at that station.  With this idea, I started to load the two csv sets into p5.  I created a button that would pick a random station from the fares csv file.  I used black ellipses to graph the full fares, green ellipses to graph the student fares and red ellipses to graph the senior/disabled fares (Figure 1).

Figure 1

Figure 1

From there, I tried to get the data from the other csv file so that I could load the ADA and entrance type information for each station.  The only similarity between the two data files was the station names.  So I used the name from the fare file and found the element of the station name array in the entrance file that match that name.  The problem was, that the name for each station was not consistent between the files which made it difficult to match the two.  One might have said 42 St Port Authority while the other just said Port Authority.  Or one said 42 St Times Square while the other just said Times Square.  After many different attempt to match these two names, I decided to simplify my idea and just create a graphic for the fare types.  I replaced the ellipses with more meaningful symbols and colors and finished the sketch.  Figure 2 shows the final sketch which can also be found here.

Eva PhilipsComment