This week I built a motor mount project that creates a moving flower pattern (Figure 1).
To build this mount I tested many different types of fittings to attached the laser cut pattern to the motor. Figure 2 shows some test pieces I created to play around with different fitting ideas.
In the end I used two types of fittings (Figure 3). One piece fit below the rotating part of the servo motor since it did not have to move. The second piece sat on top of the rotating part of the motor and had a hole for the motor screw. The screw clamped this piece onto the motor.
Next I built a standoff enclosure to hold the motor (Figure 4). The motor fit through a rectangular hole on the top piece of the enclosure. The top piece had holes that lined up with the holes on the motor wings. Since the motor fit tightly into the rectangular hole, I did not end up using these hold to secure the motor to the top piece. Four screws were used to attach the top and bottom pieces together. The holes in the bottom piece were cut small enough so that the screws gripped the sides of the holes. Thus, I did not have to use bolts on the underside of the enclosure.
Once the enclosure was completed, I printing the two patterned pieced. Figure 5A shows how the stationary piece fit around the motor. Figure 5B shows how the top piece sat on top of the rotary part of the motor and was screwed in.
Then I attached the motor to an Arduino and coded the servo to rotate back and forth at a proper pace for the moving pattern to come across (Figure 6).
Figures 7&8 show the final result.