Week 5: Final Project Update

This week I spent time fabricating the project enclosures and finalizing the interface.  I purchased a open top bamboo box from the container store to use for the board enclosure.  I printed the board panel on a piece of plywood and connected it to the top of the box using velcro.  I placed the electronics inside securing the RFID modules with tape to the underside of the board panel.  I completed the coin fabrication by gluing two rings to each coin top.  I used command hook strips to adhere the RFID fob to the inside of the coin and then to connect the bottom piece of the coin to the key fob.  Figure 1 shows this iteration of the board and coin enclosures.

Once this was complete, I conducted a final user testing session with my classmates.  Figure 2 shows an example from the user test.

Figure 2

Overall, the user testing went well however I identified a few minor adjustments that needed to be made.  Using velcro for the panel mount was not substantial enough for the use.  Also since the RFID modules have a small range they needed to be carefully place in the center of the detection circle in order for them to properly work.  Also, It was suggested that I include an artists statement in order to make the motivation for my project clear.  Lastly, it was clear that a space between the words on the submit panel was needed in the code.  For the most part, users liked the feel of the wood coins. Using the advice and observations I made during user testing, I made final modifications to the project.  Figure 3 shows the process I went through to improve the board enclosure.

Lastly, I developed an artists statement to have on display next to the project (Figure 4) and I updated the code to include a space between the words (Figure 5). 

Figure 4

Figure 4

Figure 5

Figure 5